Notarial Services

Please note: The Department of State assumes no responsibility or liability for the professional ability or reputation of, or the quality of services provided by, the entities or individuals whose names appear on the following lists. Inclusion on this list is in no way an endorsement by the Department or the U.S. government. Names are listed alphabetically, and the order in which they appear has no other significance. The information on the list is provided directly by the local service providers; the Department is not in a position to vouch for such information.

Consular Officers provide a service similar to the functions of a notary public in the United States. Notarial services are available to all U.S. citizens and foreign nationals with documents for use in the United States.

Services Provided (Country Specific)

Notarization of:

  • Deeds
  • Powers of attorney
  • Bills of sale
  • Affidavit of Single Status (PDF 72 KB) (also known as Certificado de soltería)
  • True copies (U.S. passports and U.S. pilot licenses)
  • Sworn affidavits:  A sworn statement, prepared by the affiant (you).  Affidavits are used in many different situations for many different purposes.  We cannot prepare affidavits, and we cannot advise on the specific language needed in individual cases.  Please consult a lawyer or other advisor for that type of assistance before bringing affidavits to be executed.

Due to government regulations, documents that cannot be notarized:

  • Notarization/legalization/authentication of U.S. State-issued documents, also known as apostilles.  This includes U.S. Birth Certificates, Marriage Certificates, Death Certificates and Divorce Decrees.
  • Notarization/legalization/authentication of U.S. academic credentials.  Contact the issuing educational institution for authentication.
  • Certified copies (“true copies”) of original, non-U.S. documents to be used in the United States.
  • Certified copies of Naturalization Certificates.  Please visit the USCIS website for more information.
  • Certified copies of U.S. State Department Reports of Birth Abroad (CRBAs).  Please click here for more information.
  • True copies of Social Security statements.
  • Validation of driver’s licenses.  Please contact the Department of Motor Vehicles of the state that issued your driver’s license.
  • Other U.S. State-issued documents.  Please click here for more information.