There are certain steps necessary to create all pages in WordPress. The basic instructions are the same for all Templates. Each Template also has its own features and requirements, which are detailed later in this section.
To create a new PAGE, the user can select to do so from several locations within the interface:
- + NEW in the HEADER.
- PAGES > ADD NEW in the MAIN NAVIGATION.
- The ADD NEW button on the ALL PAGES page.
There are six (6) sections that are common for each page. These sections are TITLE, LANGUAGE, PUBLISH, PAGE ATTRIBUTES, SIDEBAR OPTIONS and SUGGESTED FOR YOU.
Like when creating a Post, each page requires a title. Enter the title into the field.
Before creating a page, Determine in which Language the Page should display.
Note: Most pages are created in English and then translated. If a Page should be created in a Language other than English, select the appropriate Language from the Languages section.
- Status – an Editor can select either “Draft” or “Pending Review” – this is determined by the workflow guidelines at each location.
- Visibility – Select one of the following. The default is “Public” and this is the typical visibility for pages and posts.
- Public – Once Published can be viewed by any visitor to the website.
- Private – Once published, may only be viewed by the editor.
- Publish immediately – This may be changed to publish a Page with a date in the past or it may be used to schedule a Page to publish at a particular day and time.
- SEO – This provides an overview of the SEO for the Post. Clicking the “Check” button will direct the user to the Yoast section of the page for further guidance. For more detailed information on Yoast and how to best utilize it in the site, please see the appropriate in-depth overview in this document.
- Public Page Preview – This feature is only available after a page is saved to draft. It is used to send a preview link of a draft page to another user. Check ENABLE PUBLIC PREVIEW box to access preview link.
NOTE: PREVIEW LINK EXPIRES AFTER 48 HOURS.
This is the section where a template is chosen, and where the location of the page within the site is set.
- Parent – Clicking the dropdown will display a list of all pages within the site. All new pages should nest under another page – for example a new page about passports could be nested under “apply for a passport.” Select the Parent for the page.
- Template – From the dropdown, select the template to be used.
- Order – Under normal circumstances, the Order field can be left at the default of “0”. It is strongly recommended, however, that when creating pagination that the order be manually set by the user. This is a number starting with one. The lower the number, the higher the item will appear on a list.
Page Expiration (Optional)
If desired, set an expiration date for the post (post will automatically be removed from the site).
- Check ENABLE EXPIRATION box.
- Complete MONTH, DAY, YEAR, HOUR, MINUTE fields and Select DRAFT or PRIVATE.
Suggested for You (Optional)
Select a category related to the page topic to display at the bottom of the page.
To add “Suggested for You”:
- Open the desired page in EDIT.
- Scroll down to the SUGGESTED FOR YOU section in the right column.
- Using the dropdown, Select the desired category.
- Click UPDATE
Only POSTS should display the default sidebar. All PAGES should have “yes” selected for “Create a unique sidebar for this post/page content.”
- If a page does not require a sidebar, Click “yes” and do not select any sidebar items.
- If a page requires a sidebar, Select all of the items that should display by Clicking the checkbox in front of its name.