Dropdown menus (the Megamenu) allow one-click access to all top-level pages. Visitors can see the depth of the website without having to click through every page. In addition, visitors have easy access to in-country locations.
- Each site displays the seven (7) main content sections.
- Section names remain consistent throughout the enterprise and may not bechanged.
- Each content section of the site is represented with a landing page.
- The landing page will mirror the Megamenu drop-down.
- Landing pages may have sidebars.
- Only the 24/7/365 help desk may edit Landing pages.
Home Page Elements (Above the Fold)
1. Standard Header.
2. Notification Bar – Controlled by the web manager, may be used for important local messages.
a. May be added to any post or page.
b. Notification Title Limit – 40 characters.
c. Notification Description Limit – 70 characters.
a. Displays up to 5 items.
b. May embed Facebook, YouTube, Vimeo or Youku videos.
c. Image Size: 1140 x 440 pixels, minimum.
d. Title Limit – 90 characters.
e. Anchor Text Limit – 80 characters.
f. Description Text Limit – 300 characters.
5. Flip Boxes:
a. Visas and U.S. Citizen Services boxes required to be placed in spots 1 and 2 in all Embassy websites.
b. May display 3 boxes or 6 boxes.
c. Only the 24/7/365 help desk can change flip boxes.
d. New flip boxes must be approved before implementation.
Home Page Elements (Below the Fold)
a. Displays posts from categories selected by the web manager. These categories may be updated by contacting the 24/7/365 help desk.
b. Displays a minimum of 3 items up to 6 items on page load. The entire blogroll can also be removed, at post request.
c. Visitor may click “Show More” to load an additional six items – this action is repeatable and will display a “Show All” button after three (3) clicks.
7. Standard Footer.
Home Page Slider
1. Displays up to 5 items.
2. May embed YouTube videos.
3. Image Size: 1140 x 440 pixels, minimum.
4. Title Limit – 60 characters.
5. Anchor Text Limit – 80 characters.
6. Description Text Limit – 300 characters.
Share America Feed Embed
There are two options for embedding Share America on the home page:
1. Adding the ShareAmerica blogroll in addition to the local blogroll.
2. Removing the local blogroll and using only a ShareAmerica blogroll.
Users may request that the ShareAmerica feed be added to the home page by contacting the 24/7/365 help desk at email@example.com and providing the following information:
1. Provide the URL(s) of the Feed(s) requested. Up to 5 feeds may be chosen and the latest six items will display.
2. If the ShareAmerica feed is being implemented in addition to the local blogroll, note if the feed should appear above or below the local blogroll.
Internal Page Elements
1. Standard Header.
2. Notification Bar – Appears on every page when active.
Note: English alert operates independently from language alerts.
4. Main Body Content – Display varies depending on template in use.
a. Title Text Limit – 150
a. Sidebar Box Limit – 8
6. Standard Footer.
Blog Post Elements
1. Standard Header.
3. Post Title.
a. Title Text Limit – 150 characters.
4. Featured Image.
a. Image size requirements vary by template.
b. This image populates the rest of the site (blogroll, News & Events dropdown, suggested for you, related content, etc.)
5. Add This sharing buttons – Allows visitors to easily share content on their social media pages.
6. Main Content – Can accommodate a variety of content:
b. Multiple images
c. Embedded video
d. Embedded WordPress galleries
e. Embedded Flickr Galleries
f. Embedded Social Feeds (Twitter, Instagram)
g. Embedded Audio/Podcast
h. Embedded Event Calendar
7. Default Sidebar – Dynamically generated and updated based on News & Events content:
a. Categories – an alphabetical listing of all categories being used throughout the site. The “Exclude” category does not display.
b. Recent Posts – displays the 5 most recent posts in the News & Events section of the site.
8. Metadata – Provides information about the post:
a. Author Name – IIP recommends that Generic Author names be used whenever possible. i.e. Public Affairs, Consular Affairs, U.S. Embassy [City], etc.
b. Date – the date that the content was posted: “Day, Month, Year” format.
c. Topics – Any categories which are associated with the post (“Exclude” does not display)
d. Tags – Any tags associated with the post.
9. Suggested For You – Recent content similar to the current post. This is determined by the selected Categories and Tags.
10. Standard Footer.
11. Topics – List of topics.
Topics Pages (Default)
These pages display all posts for a related topic and can be accessed by clicking a topic in the Sidebar. They can also be linked from Internal pages, when appropriate. Topics pages are available in three (3) Styles.
1. Default – This is the default option for Topics pages, it displays all of the posts for the related topic in the same style as the News & Events landing page.
Topics Pages (List)
Topics Pages (Grid)
Main Body Features and Functions (Pagination)
1. Items included in the pagination. The visitor may click the links to navigate the section.
2. Page Content.
3. Next / Previous navigation allows ease-of-use on mobile devices.
5. Pagination is limited to 10 items.
Social Media Navigation
Social Media is spotlighted in several different ways in the Mission Website Platform:
1. Site Header.
2. Site Footer.
3. Sidebars, which can be added to any page in the site.
4. Social Media Stream
Social Media Stream
Stream can be implemented on Social Media Properties page and cannot be edited by users. Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube, Pinterest, Flickr, Tumblr, Google+, Vimeo can be added at this time.
U.S. Consulate Social Media Streams can be added via a link under the Social Media Properties sidebar.
The Mission Website Platform includes the ability to create and embed an Event Calendar: the Event Calendar Plugin allows users to create a calendar in the website to display local events for their visitors. Events may be categorized and locations may be set so that visitors can find the venue. An optional Search box can be implemented directly above the calendar. In order to implement the Event Calendar and/or Event Calendar Search box, please send a ticket to firstname.lastname@example.org for the initial set-up.
Note: One event calendar may be created per site.
1. Accordions may be used on Default page templates.
2. More than one Accordion may be used on a page.
3. Each page may display up to 200 total Accordion items.
4. Accordions are intended to display small pieces of information that make sense grouped together, such as FAQs, step-by-step instructions, contacts sorted by region, etc.
5. Accordions should not include Tables, which cannot be made Section 508 compliant.
6. Accordions have a photo size limit of 200×400 pixels. Images over the size limit will be auto re-sized to 200×400 pixels. Photos under size limit will display at original dimensions.