PDF documents must be tagged for accessibility, and the latest versions of Adobe Acrobat X Pro, will automatically create accessible PDFs from common files (.doc, .docx, .html). Adobe Acrobat X Pro also allows users to update existing PDFs to make them accessible, although currently there is no requirement for posts to update older versions of PDF documents. However, making them accessible will also make them searchable.
- All documents will have a unique page title in the properties settings.
- Language must be designated in the properties settings.
- Document must be text based, not scanned.
- All images must be tagged.
- When a page contains a link to a PDF, the link to download the Adobe PDF Readers must also be on that page.
- PDFs should be identified and the file size should be annotated [ex: DS Form 160 (PDF, 172KB)